Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Doctor or Nurse who Listens Goes a Long Way in Patient Care!

As a nurse, I have wondered occasionally why patients seek medical care but do not follow through with the "doctor's orders.” It was not until I became the patient, that I knew what that really meant and why I too was not the best patient with follow-up compliance. I believe that one of my issues, was I was told what I needed to do, and never was the question asked of me as to what I could do or wanted to do. I remember the nurse saying my blood pressure was high and the doctor coming in to confirm that, then she ordered, without asking me as she quickly left the room, an EKG (heart test) and as I walked out the door I was given a prescription for blood pressure medication all within about 30 minutes. I remember thinking, "that doctor doesn't even know me how is she looking out for my best interest, she hasn't even considered my thoughts or discussed with me the least restrictive alternatives, and I am a nurse." Well it was no surprise, at least to me; she was quite shocked that when I went for a follow-up appointment three months later that I was not taking the medication, but instead  I had my new diet and exercise regime. In that experience, it allowed me to reflect on how important as a nurse that I acknowledge my patients’ ability to make decisions over their lives or at least listen to their priorities and intentions; after all it is their lives and I am not moving in with them to ensure compliance. This lead me to reflect on the term “doctor’s orders” I think it may be best stated as a “patient’s plan of care”, as I realize now as a nurse if/when health care professionals don’t address or include the patient when making decisions over their lives, they won’t listen when it’s time to follow through. In my personal interactions with doctors, I have learned to value a doctor who listens to me and generally those are the ones who have better health care outcomes and compliant patients. So would you follow through with the “doctor’s orders” if you were allowed to be involved in developing the plan of care, why or why not?

2 comments:

  1. Great question! Yes, I'm more likely to follow doctor's orders when they incorporate my input. The person in the best position to determine whether the plan of care is doable, from a practical standpoint, is me. I've been fortunate that my doctor has taken time to get to know me and build trust (both ways). He considers my lifestyle and preferences before making recommendations and I'm comfortable enough with him to let him know what I think. I can't say that I'm 100% compliant, but I follow his "plan of care" more often than not. ~Ti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your valuable input! You are lucky to have found a doctor who values you and your input as the patient.

    ReplyDelete