Thursday, April 25, 2013

On Trial at the Doctor’s Office...

How many times have you dreaded going to the doctor's office because you just felt that you would be judged? Have you even been asked questions like, why aren't you performing this medical task or ridiculed because you had not followed through with the plan from the last visit. How does that make anyone feel when they have yet to develop a relationship with their healthcare provider? Let me say I do believe that when you are already comfortable with whom you are seeing and the relationship is established there is more room for direct conversation, but still respectful and honest. But the problem for me is when that relationship is not yet to be established. Don’t get me wrong there still has to be honest, respectful medical conversations sometimes with bad news or things that you need to do immediately to improve your health, but can it be done in a way that patients don't feel like they are being judge or labeled the "bad patient"? As a patient I have had the similar situations where I felt that I was being judged (whether real or perceived) and it just didn't make for a pleasant healthcare experience for me. So I thought about it and here were some things that I did to improve my healthcare experience because I too have to play my part:
 
· Changed healthcare providers (after two visits)---I wanted to give the previous healthcare provider a chance because maybe I was a little more sensitive on the first visit.
· Asking, open and honest questions---No matter how uncomfortable they made me feel to ask because as a nurse I don't know everything about everything; but that was my issue with being judged that I also had to address with myselfJ
· Participate in dialogue and initiate it---I don't have to make it a you ask me a question and I answer session.
· Listen and clarify---Listening is important to learn anything, but I also learned to clarify statements that I perceived as judgmental; sometimes it was a misunderstanding on my part and this cleared it up immediately.
Tell me about times that you felt judged at the MD office. What did you do to improve your future experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment