Friday, April 5, 2013

Second Amendment vs. Doctors and Nurses???

I continue to see/hear so much talk about gun rights, whether it is on social media, in the news, at the beauty salon…it is definitely a HOT topic. I just read an article regarding gun violence from a nursing standpoint. After reading, I looked at the comments section as it was a great article to me; I was shocked at the responses, as they were highly focused on good ole 2nd amendment. I even saw a few comments stating that “doctors and nurses kill more people in the country in a year than guns” which was quite appalling. My first thought was “how did healthcare professionals get into the politics of gun control from that angle,” the author was just attempting to show the humanitarian side of gun violence. Then human nature kicked in and I had a plethora of thoughts, like “can’t find a better argument than to attempt to demean the frontline healthcare workers that care for those who are injured regardless of the source?” “How ungrateful to the work of healthcare professionals!”  Then I thought about what really matters, and that left me with this “physicians and nurses do what we do, not because of the laws or the politics, we do it because we genuinely care about people. People with or without guns we care for all the same, but our hope is prevention to unnecessary suffering, we see it all too often firsthand because we are at the bedside…and that is all.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment